The Horror Chamber of Doctor Faustus/the Manster double bill
- Podcast and movie introductions
- Andrew does the plot recap
- The movie’s place in French cinema
- Critical reception of Eyes without a Face
- Blood of the Beasts
- A reaction to the modern world
- Citation: Postwar Facial Reconstruction
- Hotel des invalides (misdescribed in the podcast somewhat)
- The mask
- The conflict of the main character
- The acting style
Geroulanos, Stefanos. Postwar Facial Reconstruction: Georges Franju’s Eyes Without a Face. French Politics, Culture & Society, vol. 31, no. 2, 2013, pp. 1533. Conrad, Randall, and Georges Franju.
Mystery and Melodrama: A Conversation with Georges Franju. Film Quarterly, vol. 35, no. 2, 1981, pp. 3142. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/1212048.
We watched the Criterion Collection edition of the film.
There is also an excellent soundtrack (which we didn’t discuss in the episode)